With this recipe you’ll get a relatively thicker caramel, with the same texture that can be found in popular candy bars. The salted butter caramel is useful in many recipes.
How to make a salted butter caramel
Ingredient list: salted butter caramel
- 1/2 cup (100g) of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) of water
- 1 1/3 tbsp (20g) of salted butter
- 2 3/4 tbsp (40ml) liquid cream
Depending on the use, you can vary the quantities of butter and cream.
For example: double the amount of cream to make caramel sauce.
1. Cut the butter into pieces.
2. Put the sugar and water together in a saucepan.
3. Boil the cream over a low heat, while cooking caramel.
4. Cook sugar gently, steady up to 340/360°F (170/180°C) to obtain a dark brown color.
To prevent the sugar from crystallizing when hot:
- Ensure the cleanliness of the pan.
- Also make sure that the sugar does not contain impurities.
- And finally, avoid stirring the cooked sugar during cooking.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat to add the pieces of butter. Perform a rotational movement with the pan to combine the butter.
6. While away from the heat, add the boiling cream. Don’t forget that if you want to obtain a smooth caramel sauce, you have to double the amount of cream
7. Stir with a spatula.
8. If there remain undissolved toffee bits, put back over a low heat and stir until dissolved.
9. Pour the caramel into a container. Stir regularly to cool faster if necessary.
If caramel is prepared a long time in advance and it is too rigid, reheat to relax.
Don’t miss this: Spinach Pesto Recipe