Make this sweet and savory roasted pumpkin with bacon, maple and garlic for a sensational fall dish. Roasting pumpkin heightens its natural sweetness while the smoky touch of bacon adds a delicious contrast. This simple and gratifying recipe is easy to make and looks so great on the table!
Ingredients list for the roasted bacon pumpkin
- 1 small pumpkin (or red kuri squash)
- 12-14 slices of smoked bacon
- One garlic head, broken down into cloves
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C). Cut the pumpkin in half and scrape the seed and guts. Cut the halves into quarters, then each quarter into 3-4 wedges.
2. In a small bowl, add olive oil, maple syrup, thyme, salt and pepper. Add pumpkin wedges and toss to coat well.
3. Wrap each pumpkin wedge with a bacon slice then brush with the olive oil and maple mixture. Arrange on a baking sheet along with garlic cloves. Roast until all the pumpkin wedges are cooked through and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Turn the wedges halfway through cooking if you want, to brown bacon evenly. Sprinkle with salt and serve directly from the pan.
Note: Monitor the cooking, turning down the heat if necessary as bacon shouldn’t overcook.