When leaves start changing colors, we see the same ingredient flourishing on our local market shelvings: pumpkins, apples, butternut squash, beets… It’s time to have a look on the pumpkin recipes to prepare your fall dinners with ease.
Pumpkin is a variety of the winter squash family that include spaghetti, delicata, kabocha, Hubbard, crookneck, and calabaza. Apart from being carved in multiple shapes for Halloween, pumpkins are a very versatile ingredient to build your recipes on. From pumpkin soups to gratins and cakes, pumpkin recipes are easy to cook and offer a smooth taste that marry very well with spices, roasted seeds, croutons or crisp bacon.
To help you make you first steps with pumpkins or if your looking for inspiration, here’s a collection of great pumpkin recipes links from the beginning of fall.
20 pumpkin recipes
- 1. Pumpkin Flan with Pumpkin Seed (“Pepita”) Brittle – served by Apron Strings
- 2. Pumpkin Pie Milkshake! – served by Dashing Dish
- 3. Roasted Pumpkin Curry Soup – served by mymansbelly.com
- 4. Pumpkin Nut Buttersp – served by ChocolateCoveredKatie
- 5. Pumpkin Pot de Crème – served by Cooking Tackle
- 6. Pumpkin Praline Trifle – served by Bakers Royale
- 7. Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake with Creamy Pumpkin Glaze – served by I Am Backer
- 8. Roasted Butternut Pumpkin Soup w/ Crunchy Maple Croutons – served by Veggie Num Num
- 9. Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream – served by Traceys Culinary Adventures
- 10. Creamy pumpkin ice cream and baby’s pumpkin porridge – served by Return To The Garden
- 11. Easy Pumpkin, Chickpea and Lemongrass Curry – served by Citrus & Candy
- 12. Pumpkin Lasagna…and turning vegetarian – served by Trissalicious
- 13. Roasted Pumpkin And Pearl Barley Risotto – served by Honest Cooking
- 14. Pumpkin Soup With Grilled Chorizo and Saffron Cream – served by French Delice
- 15. A Low Fat Pumpkin Flan Recipe – Unfortunately it Worked – served by Food Wishes
- 16. Sugar Pumpkin Lasagna – served by Crepes of Wrath
- 17. Pumpkin & Caramel Custard – served by Eatwell101
- 18. Pumpkin Chili Recipe – served by BlogChef
- 19. Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes – served by Living Lou
- 20. Cheesy stuffed pumpkin – served by Honest Fare
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
How to prepare pumpkins
To peel pumpkin, it’s best to use a sturdy vegetable peeler or a paring knife. For tougher, ridged squashes, set the squash on its flat end or cut off a hat to create a stable bottom. Use a sharp chef knife and cut off slices of the skin starting from the top where the vegetable starts to curve and slicing down to your cutting board. Then cut off strips around the entire vegetable and then chop off the unpeeled ends. It’s normal to waste a little with pumpkins!