Few meals encourage to travel like a hearty, satisfying tagine — a rich, fragrant Moroccan stew traditionally served from its own elegant earthenware cooking vessel. This chicken tagine with prune, almonds and potatoes is the perfect introduction to the distinctive tastes of Morocco. You don’t need to have a tagine cookware at hand as you can make this recipe with a regular pan with lid. The chicken, deliciously flavored with spices and fruit, remains tender and moist. Serve with couscous, salad or other vegetable side dish to balance the flavors.
Ingredient list for the chicken tagine with prunes, almonds & potatoes
Preparation : 20 minutes — Cooking time: 20 mn chicken + 15 mn potatoes
Serves 4 :
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) chicken legs and thighs (about 4 each)
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 coffee spoon turmeric
- 1-inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 7 oz (200g) dried prunes
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons (30g) of sesame seeds
- 1 bouillon cube + 1 cup water, or 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 potatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
1. Soak the prunes in a bowl of hot water. Peel and chop the garlic , peel the onions.
2. Brown the chicken legs and thighs in a pan with olive oil. Drain chicken, then melt onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring constantly. Then put the chicken back into the pan, sprinkle with turmeric and ginger. Add pepper and pour 1 cup of chicken stock (or 1 cup water + 1 bouillon cube) over. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan and throw in the almonds. When they are golden, drain oil on absorbent paper.
4. Remove a ladle of the chicken cooking juices and pour into a saucepan. Add drained prunes and combine with sugar and cinnamon, cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
5. After 20 minutes of cooking, remove the chicken thighs and legs from the pan and keep them aside.
6. Peel and cut potatoes into cubes. Add to the chicken sauce in the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Quickly grill sesame seeds in a non-stick skillet.
8. Arrange the chicken thighs and legs in shallow dishes, add the almonds, prunes, potatoes and sauce, and then sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Serve hot with couscous and fresh green salad and enjoy!