Here’s a flavorful spiced lamb stew the whole family will enjoy for dinner. Enhanced with a fragrant blend of spices, this rich dish takes inspiration from Moroccan and Indian cuisine, with a twist. Chickpeas often have a meatiness of their own, while tomato adds fruitiness; each of these characters being mirrored in the dish. As a stew gets better and better when reheated, this spicy lamb stew is no exception! Simmer in advance and warm just before sitting down to eat. You can serve with couscous which adds a nutty flavor; bulgur or white rice being nice options too.
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minute
Ingredient list for the spicy lamb stew
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder, approximately 2 1/2 lbs (1.2 kg)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme.
- 1/2 chicken bouillon cube (or 1 pint homemade chicken stock)
- 1 can chickpeas (optional)
1. Cut the lamb shoulder into cubes.
2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and lightly brown meat on all sides. Add spices and let cook for few minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, thyme, salt, 1/2 bouillon cube and a little water so that the liquid covers the meat. Bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour over low heat.
4. Add chickpeas 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
Note: You can prepare this dish it in advance and reheat it. The more you reheat, the better it gets! You can also freeze portion of this lamb stew for later.
(Image by Anne Desplancke)