Here’s a super healthy meal loaded with plant-based protein to serve for dinner. Eggplants are stuffed with a delicious combination of chickpeas and tomato, then baked in the oven. We are sure that both vegans and meat eaters will love. Easy to do and no-cleanup, try it now!
Ingredients list for the baked stuffed cup
Makes 3 stuffed eggplants:
- 3 small or medium eggplants (round shaped are best for this recipe)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin across the grain
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves (to taste), minced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Cut eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh bottom-side, using a knife and a tablespoon. Dice the other halves and keep the small hats for later. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about two minutes. Add the garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute. Add the diced tomatoes, sprig of rosemary and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add freshly ground pepper, then taste and adjust seasoning. Remove the rosemary sprig, and stir in the drained chickpeas. Add diced eggplant and cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce is fragrant.
3. Using a spoon, stuff the eggplant cups to the edge and more. Transfer to a baking dish or a cast iron skillet along with the eggplant hats on the side. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle rosemary leaves. Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes, until eggplant cups are softened and cooked through. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
4. You can serve the stuffed eggplants warm or cold, with additional rosemary. This dish is delicious the next day, after a quick reheat at 325°F (160°C) in the oven.