This fresh pineapple salad is the perfect crowd pleaser to finish a meal on a lighter touch. The golden fruit sweet aromas team up with peppery mint to make a simple yet deliciously fragrant dessert.
Ingredients list for the Pineapple and Mint Salad
- 1 ripe pinepapple
- 1 pint (1/2 l) water
- 1/2 cup (150 g) cane sugar
- 1 bunch of mint
1. Heat water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Peel the pineapple and cut it into 8 pieces lengthwise. Remove the heart, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
3. Remove the stalks from the 3/4 of the bunch of mint then chop the leaves and dip them in the syrup off the heat. Let steep for 15 minutes.
4. Pass the mixture through a strainer to keep only the syrup.
5. Pour the syrup over the pineapple cubes in a large bowl and put it in the fridge. Let rest for one hour before serving.
The chef’s advice: Use the top branches of fresh mint for garnish just before serving because, they are prettier.
(Picture by Nina Palmer)