A nice recipe to recycle overripe bananas that you may have forgotten in the pantry! These mini chocolate and banana cakes are made in two steps: first, make the chocolate cake which will serve as a base. Then we will caramelize banana slices to make the topping. Here we go!
Ingredients list for the chocolate banana cakes
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup (180g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (160g) of rice flour (or 180g of wheat flour for non-tolerant)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 3 1/2 (100g) melted dark chocolate
- 2 3/4 (80g) chopped walnuts
For the chocolate cake base
1. Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Mash 2 bananas (the most ripe) and sugar with a fork. Add the flour, baking powder, eggs, oil, and finally the milk. Finally, add chocolate and nuts.
3. Pour into a silicone mold or a buttered cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes (with conventional wheat flour, allow 45 – 50 min as cooking time is longer). Check for doneness with a knife planted in the heart of the cake; it should come out clean. Leave to cool before unmolding.
For the small banana bites:
1. Cut slices of the third banana (not too ripe this time). Make them quite thick.
2. Melt butter and sugar in a pan and add the banana slices. Let them brown, turning until they get caramelized.
3. Cut slices of the chocolate cake and punch with a cookie cutter or a glass of the same diameter as the topping caramelized banana. Stack a caramelized banana slice on each chocolate slice cake, hold everything with a pike. Your mini chocolate and banana cakes are ready!
Read also: how to make a successful Chantilly cream