Sweeten up your holiday trim with this recipe for Jam Filled Star Cookies. Inspired by the classic linzertorte, an austrian spiced-nut pastry stuffed with red fruit jam, these cookies are just the right size for young children, or to snack on while you sip your coffee or tea. Or maybe you prefer setting them out on a plate awaiting Santa’s arrival? We chose to use almonds and raspberry jam, but you can try with other ingredients like hazelnut and apricot jam. A sprinkle of icing sugar adds these festive cookies all the glitter they need!
Ingredients list for Star cookies Stuffed with Raspberry Jam
Makes about 30
- 2 3/4 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 2/3 oz (75g) blanched whole almonds
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (115g) cold butter, diced
- 4 tablespoons (50g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Raspberry jam
1. In a dry skillet, toast the whole almonds and allow to cool
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside
3. Pulse the almonds, caster sugar, salt and cinnamon. Pour the resulting powder in a large bowl.
4. Add the butter and whisk with a wooden spatula until the mixture gets frothy.
5. Stir in vanilla extract and egg and continue beating for a homogeneous mixture. Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
6. When thoroughly combined, remove the dough from the bowl, shape into 2 balls, and wrap in a plastic wrap. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
7. When you’re ready to bake the cookies, preheat your oven to 370°F (190°C). Lightly flour the work surface and spread one disk of dough into a layer of 3mm thick.
8. Cut dough with a star cookie cutter, then punch out the center of the stars with a smaller cookie cutter.
9. Gather up the trimmings and re-roll, then cut out more shapes. Proceed same way with the second ball, without punching out the center of the stars. These will make the “back”.
10. Arrange all the cookies on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, spacing them a few inches.
11. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown at the edges. Let cool on a wire rack.
12. If your jam is too liquid, reduce it over medium heat for 7 minutes in a small saucepan until it thicken at the desired consistency.
13. Spread the jam on the full stars, then top with hollow stars. Sprinkle with icing sugar, it’s ready!