In preparation for the festive season, why not taking a stab at making a perfect family crowd-pleaser? I mean, the classic chocolate yule log. This gorgeous roll of chocolate cake is filled with a lovely chocolate caramel ganache as well as a crunchy layer of hazelnut brittle! This rolled cake keeps very well into the refrigerator; its a big benefit since you’ll have plenty of time to prepare the holiday dinner on the big day without worrying about the best part: the dessert! Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you all!
Ingredient list for the cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (75g) flour
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
1. Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
2. Grease a bar pan or a rimmed baking sheet. Line the pan with parchment paper, and grease it as well. Set it aside for now.
3. Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat 3 yolks (there’s one that will not serve, keep it for another use) with half the sugar for 5 minutes at medium speed.
4. Sift the flour, icing sugar and ground almonds and combine with the egg and sugar mixture.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff, adding the remaining powdered sugar. Add the above mixture gently lifting with the spatula.
6. Spread the dough on the bar pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, the dough should remain flexible. Unmold and let the cool on a rack.
Chocolate caramel and dried fruits
- 3/4 cup (100g) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (70g) of granulated sugar
- 1 oz (30g) of butter
- 2 oz (60g) chocolate
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
- Orange marmalade
1. Put 1/3 of the sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium fire until you get a dry caramel, add the second third ,stir then add the last 1/3.
2. Heat the heavy cream in another saucepan or microwave.
3. When caramel is cooked (it should make tiny bubbles) add the hot cream (beware of the projections). Let cook for a while, then add crushed chocolate in 3 steps. Add the butter and chopped nuts. Allow to chill for 3-4 minutes.
4. Spread a little marmalade on the rolled cake, cover with the chocolate caramel and dried fruit, and then roll the cake tight enough. Wrap the log in plastic film.
- 2 tablespoons (15cl) heavy cream
- 1/3 lb (150g) of dark chocolate
- 1/2 oz (15g) soft butter
1. Heat the cream and pour in melted chocolate in 3 steps for a better blending.
2. Add butter and mix. Wait for 2/3 minutes before spreading over the rolled cake. Put the cake on a wire rack with a baking sheet lined with parchment paper under. Do not hesitate to pour chocolate directly over he log to cover it well, so you can collect the excess on the parchment paper.
- 1/4 cup (50g) caster sugar
- 1 1/3 oz (40g) shelled hazelnuts
1. In a saucepan melt the sugar over low heat for a light caramel. Stir in crushed hazelnuts.
2. Mix and pour the caramel on a parchment paper sheet. Put a second parchment paper over and roll with a rolling pin to spread evenly. Allow to harden.
3. Break the nut brittle with your rolling pin, still between 2 sheets of parchment paper to obtain a coarse powder. Sprinkle on the ganache before it is completely set.
4. Keep the yule log into your refrigerator (chill at lest 2 hours if you serve it the same day) and let at room temperature 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!