Try these zucchini noodles for a low carb comfort dinner that will be on your table in less than 20 minutes! Zucchini is quickly infused in a creamy tomato sauce flavored with onion and garlic. A good amount of fresh thyme, parmesan and black pepper add some sharpness to this dish with delicious hints of mediterranean flavors.
Ingredients list for the Zucchini Noodles in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 zucchini, spiralized or julienned
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grated parmesan
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with olive oil. Saute onion, and garlic for a minute, until the onion is softened but not browned. While it cooks, sprinkle with crushed red pepper, paprika and salt. Cook for about 2 minutes, occasionally stirring, until onions soften.
2. Add crushed tomatoes and bouillon cube dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water. Add thyme, mix, and bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes, mixing occasionally, until the sauce reduces just a bit. Season with more red pepper and salt, if needed. In the end, while on simmer, add heavy cream, mix it in and cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Add zucchini and mix everything well to combine. Simmer on low, until zucchini are cooked through but still crisp.
4. Adjust seasoning, and serve hot immediately with grated parmesan, additional thyme, red pepper flakes and fresh cracked black pepper.