Lentils are almost a perfect food, full of B vitamins and protein with zero fat. This rustic blend topped with spicy Spanish sausage is packed full of the flavors of paprika, bay, ginger, celery and cilantro that complements the red lentils and tomato and creates a creamy, filling soup. Keep a batch of this warming soup around for the week and you’ll stay slim and satisfied!
Ingredients list for Spicy Tomato Chorizo Lentil Soup
- 1 chorizo, sliced
- ¾ cup (175ml) of uncooked red lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- Some freshly ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 lb (500g) of ripe tomatoes, chopped finely
- 2 litres of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Olive oil
- Fresh cilantro to serve
1. Oil a large saucepan over a medium high heat with olive oil. Add the onion, celery and fry until softened.
2. Add the lentils, sliced chorizo, garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, cayenne, bay leaf and tomato paste and stir to evenly mix.
3. Add the stock, tomatoes and tabasco. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes until lentils are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Serve topped with some chopped fresh cilantro.
Note: If you prefer a smoother soup, blend it to your liking with a food processor or a blender.