This salmon bagels recipe is inspired from “Saveur” magazine. You can garnish your bagels with Philadelphia or any other cream cheese, and feel free to add your own twist with ingredients you like… While buying ready-made bagel-breads is totally acceptable, it’s much better when you do it by yourself so we included the homemade bagels bread recipe and ingredients list.
Ingredients list for Smoked Salmon Bagel Sandwich
For the filling:
- 1/2 lb (200g) Philadelphia (or any cream cheese)
- 1lb (500g) smoked salmon
- 1 red onion
- 1 jar of capers
- 3 1/3 ounces (100g) arugulad salad
For about 10 bagels:
- 1 3/4 lb (800g) flour
- 1 pint (55 cl) of warm water
- 3/4 tbsp (16 g) active dry yeast
- 6 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of salt
For bagel crust:
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- Poppy seeds
Bagel breads preparation
1. Mix flour and active dry yeast in a bowl.
2. In another large bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except the flour and yeast. Add flour gradually and mix with a stand mixer.
3. When the dough begins to be too difficult to work with the mixer, lay it down on a floured surface and knead it by hands for 10-15 minutes sprinkling flour on and peeling off the work plan.
4. The dough should be very soft and slightly sticky. Test by pressing lightly with your fingertips: the dough should be a bit elastic. If this is not the case, continue to knead until you get a nice soft but elastic and homogeneous ball. Put the dough in an oiled bowl. Cover with cling film. Let stand for about 1 hour until it doubles in volume.
5. Degas the dough giving a punch in the center then fold inwards several times to reform a ball.
6. Divide the dough into 10 pieces. Roll the balls to make rods and stick both ends together with a little water so as to obtain nice rings. Take care to make a large hole about 2 1/3 inches (6 cm) in diameter.
7. Arrange the bagels on a floured parchment paper. Let rise 1 for hour, covering with a cloth.
8. Bring a large quantity of water to a boil. Add baking soda and lower heat slightly (water must remain at a simmer). Dip the bagels one by one. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 480°F (250°C).
9. Cook on each side for one minute each. Remove the bagels with a slotted spoon and place them on a clean cloth quickly to absorb excess water.
10. Quickly transfer the bagels on a greased baking sheet or covered with parchment paper. Brush the top of the bagel breads with a brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
11. Bake bagels lowering the temperature to 370°F (190°C). Bake for about 20-25 minutes before cooling on a rack.
Salmon Bagels: the making of the Sandwich
Cut your bagels in 2. Spread Philadelphia on one side, and garnish with smoked salmon, onion, capers and arugula. You’re set up for a good lunch with these smoked salmon bagels!
Read also: beet and goat cheese dip