Turn fresh pears into a crunchy, good-for-you snack and take them to the next level by dipping in chocolate for a decadent and healthy treat. Package creatively to give as gifts to your family and your health-conscious friends!
Ingredients list for the pear chips
- 2 Bartlett pears
- 4 ounces milk or dark chocolate
1. Preheat your oven to 225°F (105°C).
2. Cut pears into slices that are 1/8 inch thick (3mm) using a mandoline slicer. Use the tip of a knife to discard out any seeds that remain.
3. Place pear slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. And bake for 1 hour.
4. Flip over slices and bake for 30 minutes more or until slices reach desired crispness. If the slices are thicker it may take up to an hour to become crisp.
5. Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler (bain marie) on the stove-top.
6. Allow melted chocolate to cool down a bit, and serve.
Note: you can dip the pear chips in melted chocolate, or drizzle chocolate on the chips and allow chocolate to set before serving.
(Photos: N. Palmer)