Grapefruit cake with black olives is a surprising combination but it works great! It is a salty yogurt cake with polenta and corn starch. We obtain a strong personality cake, and it is gluten free, which will gain a lot of followers for sure!
But as it is a cake that dries fairly quickly, here’s a tip to make it even more amazing and give it a second life: make chips that you’ll serve as appetizers! How? It’s simple! Very thin slices of cake are baked in an oven to give as crunchy appetizers.
Ingredient list for grapefruit cake
- 20-30 Greek black olives
- 1 small grapefruit, untreated
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary (optional)
- 1 cup precooked cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup of almond powder
- 2 csp gluten free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, up to your taste
- 1 pot of cow, goat or sheep milk yogurt (125 g)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 330°f (165°c).
2. Pit the olives and cut into pieces.
3. Wash and brush grapefruit under hot water. With a fine grater, remove the zest, and collect the juice by squeezing the fruit.
4. Finely chop the thyme and rosemary.
5. Combine the cornmeal, cornstarch, almond powder, baking powder, grapefruit zest, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in a bowl.
6. In another bowl, beat eggs with yogurt and oil. Add the grapefruit juice and stir again.
7. Finally, add this mixture to the flour and stir to get a smooth paste. Finally add the olives and stir gently once more.
8. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and bake for about 40 minutes. To know when cooking is done, pick the cake with a knife: it should come out clean. Let cool before un-molding.
For the chips
If you keep the cake for too long and it becomes to dry:
1. Book your cake 24 hours in a towel.
2. Preheat oven to 360°f (180°c) and slice the cake finely.
3. Spread the slices on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, turn the slices and bake for 3-5 minutes more, being careful not to burn the chips.