Here’s a typical summer dish! Beside the fact that freshly caught sardines are an excellent source of omega-3 fats, these little fishes are also a real treat baked or grilled! This stuffed sardines recipe borrows from the Mediterranean flavors and traditions to make these crowd pleasing appetizers that everyone will appreciate!
Ingredients list for the stuffed sardines
For 10 sardines:
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- 1 handful of toasted pine nuts
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 pickled lemon in oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- Thyme, salt and pepper.
1. Seed and dice the tomatoes and fry them in a little olive oil. Let simmer over a low heat to reduce to juice and obtain a smooth tomato paste.
2. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the garlic, pine nuts, and lemon. Finely chop the basil and parsley.
3. Mix aromatics — garlic, pine nuts, basil, lemon, parsley, thyme— with reduced tomato flesh. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stuff sardines with this mixture and close with toothpicks or a string.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 360°F (180°C) in a lightly oiled baking sheet. Of course, you can still grill over the BBQ! Serve with a peppery arugula salad and bread toasts. Enjoy!
(photo by Miss Bonbon 95)