The smoky, savory eggplant does it all — whether you grill it, fry it, stuff it, roll it, bake it, or roast it… Everything will taste wonderful! Today we’ll make this versatile vegetable a delicious and surprising appetizer, paired with smoked ham, goat’s cheese and fresh herbs. You will get a starter full of freshness with a little taste of vacation! One key is to bake eggplant for a long time (one hour minimum), so do it the day before. You will have more time to cool it down when you make the preparation.
Ingredients list for Eggplant, Cheese, Ham Rolls
- 3 large eggplants
- 6 slices of smoked ham (or air cured ham, bacon…)
- 1 fresh goat cheese log
- Fresh herbs of your choice (basil, mint, parsley, chives for instance)
- Olive oil
- Thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper
1. Cooking eggplant: Oil a large baking dish. Salt and pepper, and sprinkle with some herbs.
2. Arrange the eggplant split in half. Pour a little olive oil over, and add salt and pepper.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 320°F (160°C) for 1 hour, turning the eggplant occasionally.
4. Leave eggplants into the fridge overnight.
5. The next day: Spread goat’s cheese generously on each eggplant half. Add pepper (no salt), and divide the whole fresh herbs.
6. Wrap each eggplant in half a slice of smoked ham. Cut in half. Serve on a plate with herb vinaigrette and a few salad leaves.
(Photo by Dominique)