Keep your self warm on a cool fall night with this healthy curried carrot soup. Satisfying and flavorful, it takes about 25 minutes from start to finish, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. If carrots are not overly sweet on their own, you can add a bit of brown sugar to balance the flavors.
Ingredients list for the curried carrot soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups carrots, peeled and chopped—about 8 medium-sized carrots
- 3 1/2 cups (800ml) vegetable stock (here’s how to make your own vegetable stock), or 3 1/2 cups water + 1 bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped ginger root
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried cranberries, for garnish
1. Sweat the onions in olive oil on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes then pour in the vegetable stock.
3. Add ginger, curry powder and chili flakes. Cover and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes, until the carrots are softened.
4. When carrots are soft and cooked through, blend the soup with a hand blender and puree until smooth.
5. Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked pepper, ladle into deep soup bowls or mugs and garnish with fresh chopped chives and dried cranberries.