Here’s a super tasty delight you can bring at the office for the morning coffee —your colleagues with thank you— or simply as a snack during the day! Super easy to make, these choux pastry rings are essentially cream puff pastries without the cream filling and they are adorned with pearl sugar and crushed praline.
Ingredients list for the choux pastry:
- 2/3 cup (160ml) of milk
- 2/3 cup (160ml) of mineral water
- 5oz (140g) butter
- 1/4 tbsp (4g) of salt
- 1 2/3 tbsp(20g) sugar
- 2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs + 1 egg for gilding
- Pearl sugar and praline for the finish
I recommend you to make the day before, it will be even better !
1. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the water, milk, butter, salt, and sugar until it comes to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and immediately add the flour all at once stirring with a wooden spoon until all the flour is incorporated.
3. Bring back over medium heat to slightly dry up the dough. Remove the pan from heat from time to time to prevent from burning. The dough shouldn’t stick to the spoon.
4. Place the dough in a bowl to cool for a couple of minutes. Mix the dough with a mixer for a few seconds to speed up the cooling.
5. Incorporate beaten eggs one at a time, whisking thoroughly. You can use a mixer if you arm feels tired.
6. Mix until the eggs are incorporated and the dough is smooth, shiny and soft but not too much, the dough will not swell otherwise.
Make the rings:
1. Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C).
2. Garnish a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip 20mm diameter. Draw circles 2 inch (7cm) diameter on a silicon baking mat or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Brush the surface with the last egg, slightly beaten.
4. Sprinkle pearl sugar and crushed praline.
5. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour. The dough should be well puffed and golden. Remove from the baking sheet pan and let cool.
(Photos by Tabakovi Camela)