You probably already know yakitori if you have ever eaten in Japanese restaurants. If you’ve ever tasted there, here is a simple yet greedy version of beef yakitori! We tested with different cheeses and really, swiss cheese won by far… But it’s only a mater of taste. Comte cheese which is stronger and nutty in flavor was interesting too.
It’s imperative to cook them at the last minute to immediately enjoy the melting cheese and caramelized flavor of the meat…
Ingredients list for about 20 yakitoris
Allow 4-5 per person
- 1/2lb (200g) of swiss cheese
- 20 thin slices of beef carpaccio (… whatever marinades available)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
1. Prepare the sauce by mixing honey, rice vinegar and soy sauce together with a whisk.
2. Cut cheese to form large sticks, pierce with toothpicks before wrapping each cheese stick with a slice of carpaccio. Be careful because it’s very thin and fragile…
3. Brush the skewers with the sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes in a hot skillet, turning and brushing frequently with sauce. All should caramelize without burning…
4. Drain the juice and offer it in a small cup and serve immediately, ideally accompanied by a bowl of rice, but young salad leaves and sprouts is a bit more balanced!
(Image Cécile Lalanza)
Read also: Stir Fried Zucchini & Mushrooms Pasta