There are some desserts that don’t seem to have much appeal, but they are still a classic that everyone eats with pleasure… the good ol’ applesauce is part of it! Here I offer you my favorite rhubarb applesauce recipe!
Most people think of it as a sweet applesauce, almost a “dessert like” condiment. And it can be. But I prefer a neutral approach that allows for savory seasonings too. The slightly acid taste of rhubarb brings peps.
A food mill is the easiest way to go and produces the best applesauce. If you do not have one, you must peel and core the apples before cooking. Make as much as your time and the size of your pot allows it, doubling or tripling the quantity because applesauce freezes very well and is handy when you pack it in small containers.
You can use other fruits of course: pears or cantaloupe melon for example.
Ingredients For Rhubarb Applesauce
- 10 ounces (300g) apples
- 7 ounces (200g) rhubarb
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 1 large tbsp honey
Cooking instruction: Rhubarb Applesauce
1. Peel and cut the apples into pieces, place in a saucepan with the vanilla sugar and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until apples are well softened.
2. Meanwhile, peel the rhubarb and cut it in small sections. Add the rhubarb when apples are softened.
3. Allow rhubarb to simmer until it turns soft (which is pretty fast) and the water excess evaporates. Stir regularly.
4. Add honey at the end, mix everything well.
5. Now you can mix your sauce in a blender. Or just mash it to keep it beautiful pieces here and there!
6. And now, enjoy with biscuits, great! Bon appetit.
Read also: sweet pepper stir-fry with bacon