Shrubs are refreshing, complex and make superb mixers in your spring and summer cocktails! Red fruits are delightfully tart in this sugary, sour gin based cocktail and fresh thyme lends a subtle citrusy aroma.
Ingredients list for the red fruit shrub cocktail
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups red fruit: raspberries, strawberries, red currant, blackberries, cranberries… (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Ice cubes
- Club soda or sparkling water
- Fresh thyme leaves
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. In a medium sized sauce pan, bring the water to a simmer. Add in the red fruits and simmer until they are totally cooked down and the liquid is deep red. About 10 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat, and add in the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Stir and then strain the fruit mixture through a sieve into a bowl or glass jar, steep a few thyme leaves into the jar. Ideally, you would let it macerate overnight to let the flavors develop, but if you cannot wait… Follow the next step directly.
3. Combine 1 ounce gin, with 1 good tablespoon of the shrub syrup over ice and top with club soda or sparkling water to fill. Garnish with thyme leaves. Enjoy responsibly!