Crispy homemade beignets with cinnamon! Many of us always had a soft spot for our grandmothers’ food. They always prepared stunning recipes with love and simplicity. I imagine the wood board on the table full of flour. The eggs in the basket waiting to make an omelet. Open butter, waiting to be spread on a good slice of bread with homemade jam. And good coffee heating up on the old stove…
Nostalgia comes up to date on Eat Well 101 and there is a whole range of “retro” cooking recipes coming over the next months. So I wanted to try these wonderful crispy beignets. What are they? They are simply small flat crispy doughnuts covered with confectioner’s sugar. But enough talking, more making…
Preparation time: 30 min – Cooking time: 2 min – Cost: easy and affordable
Ingredient list for homemade doughnuts
For 30 wonders
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces (60g) butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 coffee spoon granulated sugar + 1/2 cup (80g) icing or confectioner’s sugar for decoration
- Frying oil
- Cinnamon or vanilla powder (optional)
Heat the oil in a frying pan.
1. Put half the flour in a large bowl, and add eggs, butter, salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix well.
2. Gradually add the remaining flour to make a smooth paste.
3. When the dough has got enough consistency, knead with your hands, adding a little flour if necessary — the dough should not be sticky but slightly elastic.
4. Stretch the dough into a very thin sheet then cut it into diamonds with a roulette.
5. Fry the dough squares in the hot oil.
6. Drain and sprinkle with icing or powdered sugar progressively.
One more trick:
Flavor sugar with a pinch of cinnamon or vanilla — vanilla sugar recipe here!