Ingredients list for the Orange cakes
Makes 2 loaves:
- Juice and zest of 3 oranges
- 4 large eggs (or 5 regular eggs)
3/4 cup buttermilk (180ml)
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- Vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 2 cups (260g) confectioners sugar
4 to 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
For the orange syrup:
- 1/2 cup (125ml) fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
3. With a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer still running, add in the eggs, one at a time. Then add orange zest.
4. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another small bowl, combine orange juice, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
5. Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 about minutes.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the orange syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Combine together orange juice and sugar until dissolved. Continue to cook for 3 minutes more and remove from heat.
7. Release cake loaves onto a wire rack. Poke holes in the tops and sides of the loaves with a toothpick or skewer. Brush the tops and sides of the loaves with the orange syrup. The syrup should soak into the cake. Brush the loaves with the syrup one more time and let the cakes cool completely.
8. Now it’s time to make the orange glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 4 tablespoons of orange juice. The mixture should be thick but still pourable. Pour the orange glaze over the top of each loaf and let it drip down the sides. Let the glaze harden before serving.
(Photography: © Viktorija)