These cranberry poached pears are a wonderful end to a special-occasion dinner. Sophisticated enough to impress family and friends and simple enough ease the pressure on busy cooks, this elegant plated dessert is easier to make than it may look. The poached pears are infused in a well-blended cranberry juice flavored with star anise, cinnamon and cloves for a bright red, appetizing color.
Ingredient list for the cranberry poached pears
Serve 6 people:
- 6 pears
- 2 pints (1l) of cranberry juice
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 1/3 cup (60g) of cane sugar
- Natural food grade red dye (optional for color)
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Boil cranberry juice with sugar and spices in a large saucepan.
2. Peel the pears and poach in cranberry juice for about 25 minute — more or less, depending on the size of pears — then remove the saucepan from heat (add the coloring if you want to) let cool and refrigerate. Serve well chilled.
Note: Reduce the poaching liquid, and you get a deliciouslsy sweet-tart syrup that brings out the delicate flavor of the pear.
(Image by Anne Des Plancke)