Salad Goodness! Here’s a lovely mixed salad with tomatoes, asparagus and anchovies; do you feel up to it? Apart from cooking the asparagus, you will prepare this salad very quickly. You don’t have to put in too much salt because of the anchovies. With such an easy dish you’ll be able to save time and enjoy your evening reading a good novel.
This tomato saladcan be eaten without any moderation because there’s no risk for your waist line!
Preparation time: 10 min – Cooking time: 6 minutes
Ingredients list for Tomato Salad, Asparagus
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 red onion
- 3 1/2 ounces (100g) marinated anchovy fillets (in jar)
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Salt + pepper
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Remove the seeds and juice from tomatoes, then dice them.
2. Remove the stalks of asparagus, rinse and cut them into 1 inch (3cm) sections
3. Blanch asparagus for 6 min in a pot of boiling water. Then plunge them in iced water and drain. This will keep them bright green for the salad.
4. Peel and chop the onion. Wash and chop the parsley.
5. Gently stir asparagus, tomatoes and red onion in a bowl. Add the drained anchovies.
6. Season with olive oil, vinegar, pepper and add salt only if necessary — anchovies are already very salty.
7. Sprinkle with parsley, stir, and serve along with toasted bread.
Note: White balsamic vinegar is a bit different from regular in the fact that white grapes are simmered at low temperature and aged in an oak or stainless steel barrel. The taste is less sugary and woody than black balsamic vinegar; the texture is also less syrupy. You can use it in dressing and sauces if you don’t want to mask the taste of other milder ingredients.
(Photo by Eleonora Grosjean)