You should most certainly add this vegan soup to your list of cold-weather recipes to try! With its smooth texture and spicy flavor, this creamy acorn squash soup is so comforting you’ll want to eat it until spring finally comes back around.
Ingredients list for the vegan acorn squash soup
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 lb – 600g), halved and seeded
- 2 or 3 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 knob of ginger
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 1 can (400g) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 handful cilantro
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (200ml) water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder (or curry powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a blender, put half the diced acorn squash, coconut milk, tomatoes and cilantro and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat 4 tablespoons oil and fry garlic, ginger, cumin seeds and cinnamon stick until fragrant. Add onion and mushroom. Fry gently until cooked.
3. Add the acorn squash puree, remaining diced squash pumpkin, turmeric and water. Then simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes (the skin of the acorn squash will be soft enough to chew easily). Watch out not to burn the bottom of the pot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve hot!