We all know that eating more fish is full of benefits for our diet; if you rarely find it on your plate these bacon wrapped fish fillets will help make that change. This unique and tasty flavor combination of fish and bacon accompanied with crunchy vegetables makes a great main dish for an evening dinner. The salty and smokey flavor of bacon adds body to delicate fish fillets while the seasoning binds the aromas together.
Ingredient list for the roasted bacon-wrapped fish
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 pounds (1kg) hake fillets
- 14 slices of bacon
- Olive oil
- 4 baby carrots
- 1 pound (500g) fava beans, unpeeled
- A dozen spring onions
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Preparing the fish
1. Lay 7 slices of bacon, slightly overlapping, over a sheet of parchment paper. Put the fish fillets on top of bacon. Sprinkle with thyme and pepper.
2. Wrap fish with remaining slices of bacon. Tie up with twine, a bit like a roast.
3. In a casserole or a large pot, brown the fish roast on all sides for 5 minutes in a little olive oil over high heat. Then cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Preparing the vegetables
1. Peel carrots and cut into slices, cook in boiling salted water for 10 minutes.
2. Shell the fava beans and cook in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and remove the skin of the beans.
3. In a pan or skillet, fry the chopped onions in olive oil, then add the cooked carrots and beans and simmer over low heat for about ten minutes. Cooking time may vary according to your taste: If you like your vegetables crunchy, just shorten the cooking time.