Whenever you have leftovers, stir-fry dishes are always a good choice when faced with feeding a family. With a stash of already-roasted chicken in the refrigerator or freezer, you can serve up an hearty and autumnal vegetable stir fry, worthy of your favorite restaurant. With turnips and carrots, the ingredients couldn’t be simpler but the taste is great! You can round out the dish by serving a white rice, couscous or bulgur.
Ingredient list for the chicken breast and vegetable stir fry
- Chicken leftovers cut into cubes or strips (breast or thighs)
- 2 beautiful white turnips
- 2 large carrots
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shallot pulp (use a garlic press to crush diced shallot)
- 1 tablespoon sugar ( whole cane )
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, or 1/3 cup soy milk or coconut milk
- Crushed cashews
1. Cut turnips and carrots into small cubes.
2. Stir fry in a pan with a little olive oil and a tablespoon of shallots pulp.
3. As turnip can be bitter sometimes, sweeten these autumn vegetable by sprinkling a tablespoon of sugar. Add salt and pepper.
4. Once vegetables are cooked al dente, add chicken leftovers cut into cubes.
5. Add a tablespoon mustard and 2 tablespoons heavy cream or vegetable milk and a crushed cashews.
6. Serve this comforting chicken stir fry with white rice, couscous or bulgur for a well balanced meal.