A gourmet gift is good at any time of year but particularly at Christmas. So, surprise someone special with a homemade nut brittle this holiday season! Broken into pieces and popped into cute little bags with ribbon, it makes lovely presents to pop under the tree, ready for your friend or family to pick up.
Sweet and crunchy all at once, this easy, 5 ingredient recipe for mixed nut brittle allows other nuts such as cashews, peanut, as well as toasted pumpkin seeds.
Ingredients list for the hazelnut, pecan, almond brittle
- 2/3 cup (100g) whole almonds
- 1/2 cup (50g) pecans
- 1/3 cup (50g) of whole hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (50g) honey
- Dried fruits (diced apricot, raisins… whatever you feel up to)
You’ll need a cooking thermometer.
1. Preheat your oven to 340°F (170°C).
2. Roast almonds and pecans 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet, then add the hazelnuts and roast for 5 minutes more.
3. In a saucepan, put the sugar and 1 tbsp (10ml) water and cook until the caramel reaches 300°F (150°C).
4. In another saucepan, bring honey to a boil and heat up until it reaches 270°F (130°C).
5. When temperatures are reached, pour the honey into caramel and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
6. Dip the nuts and dried fruit into the caramel, coat them well and pour immediately on a large marble or stainless steel board previously oiled.
8. Cover with parchment paper, and spread the brittle with a rolling pin. Let cool and cut in pieces. The caramel has to cook beyond 280°F (140°C) to become brittle. That is why we must cut while still warm. When the brittle is completely cold, divide it into confectioner bags and close with a pretty ribbon and a label.
Tips: For a Caribbean twist, add 1 cup grated coconut and cashews.