If you are a veggie lover, this stuffed zucchini recipe makes the perfect meatless monday meal. Otherwise, this simple simple dish is a great accompaniment to your summer grilling. You can make the filling with lots of variants: veggies only or mixed with bacon, lean turkey, ground beef, sausage meat, spices… For now here’s a 100% veggies take on these adorable small round zucchini.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients list for Stuffed Zucchini with Vegetables Recipe
- 6 small round zucchini
- 2 onions
- Half an eggplant
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 slice of bread
- Olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper
- Fresh basil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- Grated cheese
Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders
Pre-heat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
1. Wash all vegetables, cut the tops off the zucchini and scoop out the center of the squash. Take care not to cut through the outer skin of the zucchini. You can use a melon baller to scoop out the zucchini, but a small spoon will also work. Roughly chop the scooped zucchini flesh for the filling.
2. Dice the eggplant and tomatoes. Peel and slice the onions. Crush the slice of bread to make crumbs. Chop the basil and add to vegetables. Gather everything in a large bowl and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Fill zucchini with the vegetable mix, put the hat back on top and place zucchini in a baking dish.
4. Line the bottom of the dish with crushed tomatoes, olive oil and chopped basil.
5. Bake for 45 minutes at 360°F (180°C). Check to see if the zucchini is cooked. The flesh of the squash should pierce easily with a knife and become slightly translucent.
6. This step is optional: Turn on the oven broiler. Take the tops off the zucchinis and set aside. Sprinkle grated cheese on the tops of the zucchini and broil just until the cheese begins to brown. Put the hats back on top and serve warm. Enjoy!
- If you’re looking for something a bit more hearty, you can add diced bacon to the filling. Reduce the amount of eggplant.
- For a meaty version: use ground beef, sausage meat or ground turkey. Just lower the amounts of eggplant and tomato. Add a bit more spices.