Take the stress out of dinner! This shrimp and vegetable soup is a quick and no-hassle filling meal that’s packed with flavor and healthy ingredients.
Bok choy and shrimp are briefly cooked in a flavorful broth. 35 minutes from start to finish! Make this quick and easy soup, it’s so good and healthy!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Ingredients list for the shrimp soup
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 1 bok choy cabbage, swiss chard, other greens or frozen peas
- 8 raw prawns (frozen are ok)
- 1 shallot
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 knob of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 small red chillies
- A handful of coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons of Nuoc Mam sauce (or any fish sauce)
- Juice of ½ lemon + lemon wedges for garnish
- 3 tablespoon neutral oil (corn, sunflower)
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Twist off the prawn heads and peel away their shells. Run a knife down the length of the back of each peeled prawn and remove the black digestive thread. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large, wide sauce-pan over high heat.
2. Add the prawn heads and shells and stir-fry briskly with garlic and shallot for 3 minutes or until they turn pink. Add water, chilies, ginger, cilantro, and bring the stock to a simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Strain and discard all aromatics to just only a clear broth. Put back on the stove and add the fish sauce, lemon juice. Bring to a boil and add bok choy, cook for 2 minutes then add prawns and cook for another 2 minutes. Bok choy should just cooked but still crunchy. Adjust seasoning to taste, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped spring onion before serving.