Simple Roasted Chicken with Cajun spiced potatoes. The Cajun seasoning gives this great roasted chicken an extraordinary flavor — you can do it by yourself, the complete recipe is at the end of the article. So this oven roasted chicken will perfectly suit a week end evening dinner.
Preparation time: 20 min – Cooking time: about 1 hour depending on the potatoes and chicken.
Ingredients list for Roasted Chicken with Spicy Potatoes
- 1 3/4 lbs (800 g) potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp of Cajun spices mix
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 to 8 chicken legs
1. Preheat oven to 320°F (160°C). Wash the potatoes and cut them in half without removing the skin (although it’s OK to remove the skin if you like).
2. Peel and chop the onion.
3. Put the cut potatoes and onion in a large bowl. Add Cajun spices.
4. Pour the oil. Season. Stir vigorously with a large spoon to coat everything.
5. Spread the mixture into a baking dish lined with a sheet of parchment paper.
6. Pour a glass of water into the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake potatoes for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
1. Marinate the chicken legs in olive oil and the Cajun mix for 10 minutes.
2. Brown on all sides in a skillet over a medium heat, with olive oil.
3. Put in a baking dish and roast for 15-20 minutes at 400°F (200°C), turning from time to time.
I advise you to roast the chicken legs just before finishing with the potatoes. Put a second grid in the oven, lower the potato dish (protected with aluminum foil) and put the chicken on top, nearest the grill. The potatoes will finish cooking while the chicken is roasting.
If you cannot find the Cajun spice mix, you can make it yourself; it’s easy. Here’s what you will need:
Ingredients list: Cajun Spice Mix
- 3 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
In a spice grinder or with the help of a mortar and pestle, mix all spice. Grind until you obtain the desired consistency. Store in a jar at room temperature; this spice mix will stay OK for 6 months. The flavor will decrease after this time limit.
(Photho by Eleonora Grosjean)