When it comes to fighting a cold, nothing beats the healing properties of a chunky, heartwarming chicken soup. Definitely on the lighter side, this skinny version of the classic chicken and corn chowder cooks all by itself in the slow cooker and is loaded with sweet corn and cubed potatoes. So delicious you may even run back for seconds—or thirds!
Ingredients list for the skinny chicken corn chowder
- 3 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups (1l) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 5 small potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cans corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked white pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro (or parsley)
Ham Cheese & Spinach Puffs
1. Combine chicken, chicken broth, potatoes, onion, corn and butter in your slow cooker. Stir to combine, then cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
2. Uncover the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the chicken breasts. Stir in garlic, celery, red bell pepper, jalapeño, salt and pepper to taste, and cook another 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and freshly cracked pepper and serve hot.