You can see these muffins as the Ultimate Indulgence: the dark chocolate in the inside is simply divine. And to give more character to the chocolate we’ll add a sweet and salty touch. We’ll craft an unique blend of ingredients: salt, chopped dried fruits — figs, raisins, apricots, pineapple, bananas, peaches, blackberries — lemon zest, spices , vanilla, dark chocolate, grape, and sugar cane. This spice and fruit mix will be helpful for various preparations like baking or salad toppings. These muffins will be perfect for tea time. Gather a few friends, steep your best Earl Grey tea and serve these crowd pleasing treasures!
Preparation: 20 min – Baking: 30 min
Ingredients list for the sweet & salty chocolate muffins
For 6-8 muffins:
- 3 cups (300g) all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cups (120g) of sugar
- 3/4 cup (20 cl) milk
- 2 tbsp of corn oil
- 2 tbsp (15g) baking powder
For the sauce sweet and savory chocolate
- 2 cups semi-sweet / dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup 15% fat cream
- 1 tsp sweet and salty mix for the chocolate sauce: salt, chopped dried fruits — figs, raisins, apricots, pineapple, bananas, peaches, blackberries — lemon zest, spices , vanilla, grape, sugar cane. It’s not a problem if you don’t gather everything, just make sure you have both salt and sweet ingredients together. Grind everything into your blender. Store the remaining into a metal tin in a cool place.
1. Prepare the paper cups for the muffins, as shown on the photos.
2. Beat the eggs with the sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add oil and milk. Mix. Add the flour and baking powder gradually. Do not mix for too long; the muffin batter should not be too smooth.
3. Grease your muffin pans (unless the mold is made of silicone) and add the muffin batter.
4. Bake at 360°F (180°C) for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick or a knife; your muffins are ready when the toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let the muffins cool and then dig a hole with a long toothpick and a coffee spoon — the more you dig, the more chocolate you’ll get!
6. Melt the chocolate chips into a double boiler and add the cream. Add the sweet and sour mix. Remove from the heat, wait until the cream takes some consistency and pour it into the holes on each muffin. Decorate with a few grains of sweet and salty mix. Put the muffins into the microwave oven for a couple of seconds to get a good warm and melting chocolate!
(Photo by cookisgood)