Ingredient list for the strawberry jam
- 2/3 lb (300 g) strawberries
- 1/2 lb (200 g) jam sugar
- A small glass of water
- Juice of half a lemon to prevent fruit oxidation
1. Wash strawberries and cut the stems, then cut into quarters.
2. Put strawberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar.
3. Mix everything so all the strawberry pieces are soaked with sugar and lemon juice. Leave to macerate for one hour. Strawberries will water out their juice.
4. Pour everything in a large saucepan and stir with a spatula. Add the glass of water. During cooking, you can add spices, herbs, syrup or a dash of alcohol. Bring to a boil and cook over a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Leave to cool for a bit.
6. To know if your jam is ready, put a bit of it on a plate. Leave to cool for a few seconds. When holding the plate vertically, it should have a syrupy texture and stick to the plate. If it drips like water, it’s not ready.
7. Put your glass jars and lids in a pot of boiling water to sterilize for a few minutes, and then leave to dry.
8. Put jam in a jar, close the lid, and turn the jar upside down. Repeat the same process for each jar.
9. Leave to cool completely then store in a dark place, safe from heat and moisture.