What are the essential tools every bar needs? Both new and experienced cooks can benefit from going back to the basics. First up: essential Bar tools and utensils.
1. Corkscrew/wine opener: A corkscrew is a kitchen tool for drawing corks from wine bottles. Generally, a corkscrew consists of a pointed metallic helix attached to a handle. The user grips the handle and screws the metal point into the cork, until the helix is firmly embedded, then a vertical pull on the corkscrew extracts the cork from the bottle.
2. Set of wine glasses for 12: It’s usefull to have a versatile glass set in your kitchen. These all purpose stems can be used for either red or white wine, kirs and other stuff.
3. Cocktail Shaker: it’s a device used to mix beverages (usually alcoholic) by shaking. When ice is put in the shaker this allows for a quicker cooling of the drink before serving.
4. Champagne glasses: champagne flutes bring elegancy and style on your table or cocktail party. It’s simply not allowed to serve champagne in other containers than champagne flutes!
5. Decanter: is a vessel that is used to hold the decantation of a liquid such as wine which may contain sediment. Decanters are normally used as serving vessels for wine.
- Magnifico 46oz wine decanter with punt, by Luigi Bormioli
- Selecta 33oz whiskey decanter with Stopper, by Bormioli Rocco
6. Ice bucket: An often insulated container for holding ice cubes. We use it to store an opened bottle of champagne in a cool place before serving.
7. Ice tongs or scoop: as we shouldn’t use our fingers to hold ice cubes when serving drinks!
8. Martini glasses: it’s the standard shape of a cocktail glass. It is used to serve Martini and Martini based cocktails as well as other drinks. It’s triangular shape make it elegant and stylish with a scoop of lemon!
- Martini Glasses, Set of 4, by Mikasa
9. Wine chiller: allows to keep wine or other beverage cold when needed.
What about your favorite bar utensils?
Read here to learn to make a brown stew.