The cooking of meat… the sinews of war, if I may say so. Medium, bleeding rare or blue… It’s all about taste but also fingering! And yes, in the kitchen, smell and taste are always titillated but do not forget to apply the touch and sight!
Whether for the pan or grill, let the butcher cut a piece of beef by 1 to 2 inches thick. A little parsley (ie with fat … if so, it is better)
Before cooking, the piece of beef should be kept at room temperature.
Salt and pepper (freshly ground pepper) the piece on each side.
If you go to the grill, slightly oil both sides.
If you pan, heat the pan, then pour a little oil and a knob of butter before putting the meat.
Cooking: The pressure on the finger is the easiest way and most direct way to control the cooking of meat. The second side needs a little shorter time too cook.
The 5 firings
- Blue rare: the meat is quickly seared, 30 seconds to 1 minutes per side. The outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and barely cooked. By finger pressure, it offers no resistance.
- Rare: after turning the meat, 2 minutes (on each side), a slight beading of red blood touches the upper surface of the meat. The outside is grey-brown, and the middle of the steak is fully red and slightly warm. The finger meets a slight resistance.
- Medium rare: by extending the heat to less bright, 2 to 3 minutes (on each side), the beads of blood are more numerous and pink. The steak will have a reddish-pink center. This is the standard degree of cooking at most steakhouses, unless specified otherwise. The finger meets a firmer resistance.
- Medium: the middle of the steak is hot and fully pink surrounding the center. The outside is grey-brown.
- Well done: if the cooking continues, 5 minutes (on each side), the beads of blood are clear. The meat is grey-brown in the center and slightly charred. Resistance to the finger is very firm.
Do not cook the meat beyond the stage “medium” because it becomes dry and loses its flavor.
Do not prick the meat in the center during cooking, because all the blood escapes from the fat prick! or return it without the sting.