Here’s a little workshop for enriching our decoration skills. We’ll learn how to sculpt littles button mushrooms with a simple raw potato.
These carved mushrooms will be perfect for various uses. Children will certainly adopt them quickly!
Utensils you will need:
- A vegetable peeler
- A paring knife
- A 1 inch melon baller ( also known as a Parisian cutter, or a Parisian scoop)
- An apple corer
1. Peel and wash the potato that you kept at room temperature for an easier work.
2. With the melon baller, cut a ball into the potato.
3. You’ll have to trim the potato ball a bit to make it perfect.
4. Prick the ball with the apple corer. Don’t push too much as it risks to crush the potato ball.
5. Your potato ball must be maintained on the tip of the apple corer. Help yourself with your finger.
7. Cut the base of the potato ball until your blade stops on the apple corer’s steel. Take off the base and trim if necessary.
8. Take off the apple corer from the ball. Voila! Your little mushroom is ready!
So your mini-mushrooms are ready. Here are various suggestions for use:
- Dish or buffet decoration
- Basted with olive oil and baked in oven
- Deep fried like big French fries
Kids will love it and it’s a nice way to make them eat vegetables.