You can practically smell the campfire with this classic vegetable stew. It is the perfect side for a fall sunday dinner. Make sure to pack up the leftovers for lunch at the office on Monday.
Ingredients list for the spicy vegetable stew
Serves 4 :
- 1 small pumpkin (+ or – 300g, peeled)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 carrots
- 2 turnips
- 2 pieces of celeriac
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 untreated orange
- Olive oil
- 1/2 coffeespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 coffeespoon turmeric
- 1 pinch of Espelette pepper (or regular chili pepper)
- 1 bay leaf, chopped cilantro or parsley.
1. Wash the pumpkin, remove the gray areas if there is some, and cut into chunks (don’t peel the pumpkin).
2. Peel the other vegetables, wash the tomatoes, cut everything into pieces. Wash and grate the orange zest and squeeze the juice.
3. Sauté onion and garlic, in olive oil over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes without burning.
4. Sprinkle spices, stir and then add the vegetables except the squash, the orange zest and juice, thyme, bay leaf.
5. Complete with 1/3 cup (10cl) of water, salt, cover. cook for 10 minutes, then add the pumpkin, continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes. Check by sticking a knife if they are tender, pepper lightly after cooking.
6. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley on each plate. Serve with couscous or quinoa.
- If you like a crunchy vegetable mix, add some coarsely chopped almonds.
- Adjust the amount of vegetables depending on their size, you can make a good soup if there are too many.
- Cereals accompanying vegetables are up to you: bulgur, rice… And why not some cooked legumes: chickpeas, lentils?