Here’s a rhubarb jelly that you can enjoy in the morning on a thick slice of bread and butter. Rhubarb is in season and it is very good. This jam is a real treat; the acidity of the rhubarb is softened by the sweetness of vanilla. It makes it a real candy! These kinds we eat with our fingers!
Ingredients list for vanilla rhubarb jam
- 2 2/3 lbs (1.2 kg) of peeled rhubarb
- 4 2/3 (900g) granulated sugar (or powdered)
- 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla pod
1. Peel the rhubarb and cut it into pieces of equal size. Put in a large bowl (plastic if possible). Add squeezed lemon juice, vanilla and sugar. Mix. Leave to stand overnight,stirring occasionally to make sure the rhubarb doesn’t dry up!
2. Drain the juice coming out from the fruit maceration. Cook the sugar and juice in a pan. After about 10-15 mins, the thick syrup should form a continuous thread when you drop a small amount from a spoon. Add the fruit. When the mixture gets transparent and freezes slightly when you put a small drop on a cold plate, the jam is ready.
3. Put in glass jars and immediately screw the lids.
Normally you should leave 2 days before serving so that the taste of the sugar disappears, but I’m sure you cannot resist!