Give your dessert a tropical turn with this mango and vanilla cream tart! Perfectly flaky and buttery tart shell crusts are filled with an amazing layer of vanilla and white chocolate cream, then topped with fresh and sweet mango dices sprinkled with fragrant lime zest. The key to this tart is a firm, sweet, perfectly ripe mango—and you’ll get the most perfect treat to make for this summer.
Ingredients list for Vanilla and Mango Tart
Makes 5 tarts:
For the shortbread crust
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup (60g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) softened butter
- 1 cup (100g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the ganache filling
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) white chocolate
- 1 3/4 tablespoon (25g) heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons (75g) cold heavy full cream
- 1 vanilla pod
For the topping:
- 1 mango
- 1 lime
1. Whisk the softened butter and sugar together until you obtain a creamy mixture. Stir in the egg yolk and whisk again.
2. Combine sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Then stir into creamed butter.
3. Form into a ball, flatten slightly, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or gently in the microwave. Heat 1 3/4 tablespoon (25g) heavy cream, without boiling.
2. Add the hot cream to the melted chocolate and mix to make an emulsion.
3. Split the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds with a knife. Combine vanilla seeds with the cold heavy cream.
4. Stir the vanilla cream in the chocolate ganache. Mix well and place into your freezer for 10-15 minutes, along with a large bowl and whips of your mixer.
5. Beat the vanilla and chocolate ganache cream to obtain a whipped cream texture, then refrigerate.
Baking the crust:
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll the dough about 5mm thick.
3. Using cookie cutters 3 1/2-inch (9cm) cut disks and transfer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave cookie cutters around shortbreads for cooking, so they will keep a better shaper.
4. Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Assembling the tarts:
1. Peel the mango, cut into very small dices and set aside.
2. Spread the whipped chocolate and vanilla ganache on top of shortbread crusts. Use a spatula to make an even layer. Top generously with diced mango. You can still use the cookie cutters to pack the mango and make beautiful disks.
3. Grate the zest of lime and sprinkle over the tarts.
Note: You can substitute passion fruit juice to vanilla in the ganache for a more exotic and contrasting flavor.