Lemon posset is a wonder of science—it’s fresh taste is just magic! With only four ingredients involved and in just 15 minutes, this light dessert is simple to make and show-stopping to taste, perfect at the end of a big meal. Whether you use lemons and limes with fancy names or the regular ones you might already have in the fridge–they might be just as delicious.
Ingredients list for Vanilla Lemon Posset
Total Time: 3 hr 15 min
Prep: 5 min
Inactive: 3 hr
Cook: 10 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 1/2 cups (550g) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (95g) plus 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup (60ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1. In a small saucepan, combine 2 cups of cream and 1/2 cup of sugar. Split the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds into the cream and drop in the bean halves.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium to medium-high heat and boil for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and taking care that it doesn’t boil over (which can happen really easily).
3. Remove from the heat, discard the vanilla bean halves and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool, about 15 minutes.
4. Pour even amounts into four ramekins or tempered glasses. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, or until set. Before serving, gently whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and dollop over the possets. Serve with shortbread cookies to dunk.
Note: If you serve the possets the next day, you can let them warm for 20 minutes or so at room temperature before serving.