Fresh, crisp and full of flavor, this sweet and spicy Gazpacho is the perfect soup to beat the summertime heat. Add some crunch with homemade croutons brushed with olive oil and you’ll get a light and delicious dinner.
Ingredients list for the tomato and strawberry Gazpacho
Serves 4 to 6:
- ¼ red onion + for garnish
- 10 ripe heirloom tomatoes, stemmed and washed
- 1/3 lb (150g) strawberries, stemed
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small chile pepper or jalapeno, seeds removed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 oz (30g) salt
- 1 coffee spoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Chives, chopped
- 1 French baguette
- Olive oil
1. Roughly dice tomatoes, strawberries red pepper, chile pepper, and onion. Save a few thin slices of onion and tomato for garnish.
2. Place the vegetables in a food processor or blender. Add oil, salt, pepper and honey. Pulse on low until desired consistency is reached; do not overprocess.
3. Refrigerate and let sit for 30 minutes before serving.
4. Meanwhile make the crouton: Preheat oven at 430°F (2202°C). Cut 5-inch (12cm) bread sticks and brush with olive oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
5. Just before serving, garnish the soup with onion slices, chopped chives, black pepper and a drizzle olive oil.