Braised vegetables are a wonderful accompaniment, perfect to serve with all types of roasted meats and poultry, especially with grilled rotisserie – with deliciously crisp skin – or slowly simmered or braised poultry in a casserole. To illustrate this article, we’ll follow the niçoise ratatouille recipe, which is a traditional braised vegetable recipe from France.
Time: Preparation: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1:20
Ingredients list: Braised Vegetables Recipe
For 6 people:
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of riped tomatoes
- 3 green or red peppers
- 6 small zucchini
- 2 eggplants
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 leaf bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig basil
- 1 sprig thyme
- A pinch of caster sugar
- Black pepper mill
- A large cast iron casserole, heavy-bottomed
- A skimmer
Preparation: Braised Vegetables
- Wash the peppers under cold water, cut in half, remove the seeds and then remove the hard parts and whites. Then details each pepper into thin strips. Book.
- Peel the eggplant by removing a strip of skin on both. Then detail each slice into small cubes. Book.
- Remove the stems of zucchini, scratch (without peel) their skin and also detail them into small cubes. Book.
- Peel and mince the onions. Book.
- Plunge the tomatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 20 seconds then rinse under cold water and peel.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, remove the seeds and then detail their flesh into small dice. Book.
- Wash the basil, then chop the mop. Book.
- Peel the garlic cloves and mince. Book.
- In a large cast iron casserole with olive oil make sauté for a few minutes the eggplant and zucchini, stirring constantly.
- Once they are golden, remove the eggplant and zucchini from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Put in their place in the hot pan the chopped onions, pepper strips and minced garlic cloves, mix well and cook the mixture for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, stir and cook for 10 minutes, still over medium heat. Mix well regularly.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini before you removed the pan. Add salt and pepper, add a pinch of sugar and herbs (bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and basil). Mix well.
- Leave to simmer and stew over low heat uncovered for about 1 hour. Stir regularly.
- When cooked, adjust the seasoning if necessary by adding salt and pepper before serving.
Ideas, tips & tricks
Also use the ratatouille to go with an omelette for example, or to fill puff pastry into slippers deliciously sweet tooth!
It can be eaten hot, warm or even cold, on a beautiful slice of country bread for example!
So, what do you think of this braised vegetables recipe?