Creme Brûlee Recipe With Variants
The recipe for cooking crème brûlée is easy, but preparation is time consuming. The actual preparation of the cream brûlée recipe requires 3 / 4 of an hour, and then it takes 60 to 75 minutes for cooking, half an hour to cool it, and at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. The creme brulee recipe can vary with the personality of the cook: some use of cream, others associate it with whole milk.
The particularity of the crème brûlée is that its cooking is done in a water bath. Indeed, it is necessary to avoid the danger of boil in order to not miss the catch.
The ingredients and equipment Creme Brûlee Recipe
For 6 people, you need:
- 10 egg yolks;
- 3 tablespoons (40 g) of brown sugar;
- 1 or 2 vanilla beans;
- 1 cup (200 g) of granulated sugar;
- 4 1/3 cups (1L ) of liquid cream.
Gather all utensils before you start: a bowl, a whisk, a pot, a chamois or a strainer, a wooden spatula, a large oval dish or 6 ramekins, a dish which is large enough for the water bath. The heat should not be too aggressive, so it is recommended to use flat porcelain or terracotta.
Learn to cook the traditional crème brûlée
1. To begin, preheat your oven to 100 degrees and put the water to heat aside in a large saucepan. Split a vanilla bean with a knife to extract the little black seeds. Add them to the cream and heat through over medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, blanch the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl. Once the cream starts to simmer, pour it gently into the bowl while mixing. Avoid the cream coming to a boil, and also avoid forming foam when incorporating the egg yolks.
3. Then filter your cream by passing it through a chamois and pour it into your dish or ramekins. Pour hot water in a dish large and deep enough for cooking in a bain-marie. Bake and cook for 1 hour. The cream is ready when scrappy.
4. Remove the cream from the oven and caramelize the top with brown sugar. For this, you can use a small torch or even the oven rack. Then let the crème brûlée cool to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator for an hour.
Crème brûlée with milk
For 4 people, you need:
- 1 vanilla pod;
- 1/2 cup (10 cl) of milk;
- 1 cup (25 cl) whipping cream;
- 3 egg yolks;
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) of sugar;
- 2 1/2 tbsp (30 grams) of granulated sugar.
1. Prepare the cream
Split the vanilla bean to remove the pulp, add them to the cream. Then blanch the 3 egg yolks and sugar, the mixture should be fluffy. Pour the milk and turn the cream into the sugar mixture, yolks, while stirring. Transfer your cream in a dish or oval porcelain ramekins.A break of half an hour is needed before cooking. Fill a large pan of hot water for the water bath and bake at 300°F (150°c). Cooking does not take more than half an hour.
2. Caramelize the cream
To caramelize, sprinkle the top of the cream with sugar and then pass the dish under the broiler. Now you nust need to decorate with a little icing sugar, and maybe with some red berries or mint leaves.
3. A timeless dessert
The crème brûlée is a dessert that can be served warm or cold. Prepared the day before, consistency is all the better. Pitfalls to avoid: overwork the mixture sugar-egg and cream (or milk), boil the cream in cooking.
4. New fragrances
Vanilla is the base flavor of crème brûlée, but it is possible to vary the pleasures using chocolate, coffee, lemon zest, or why not liquor, orange blossom or almond extract.
Also check: How to Make an Alsatian Pie