Here’s another recipe that smells of summer! Upgrade your usual party appetizers to the next level with these mini tartlets with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and basil chips. If you have a lot of basil in your garden — or your kitchen planters — it is a very nice way to make use of it. Attention: prepare yourself to bake more than one batch of these crowd pleasers for your next outdoor dinner party!
For the pastry:
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 ounces (125g) of butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
For the filling:
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes (red and yellow)
- 15 black olives
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- Olive oil
- 20-25 basil leaves
1. Mix the butter and flour. When it has the texture of sand, add salt, then break the egg over. Add a few drops of cold water if the mixture is too dry. Don’t overwork the dough. Put it in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
2. While the dough is resting in the fridge, heat a little olive oil in a large skillet and add the cherry tomatoes. Sauté for 4-5 minutes; they should be tender and not overcooked.
3. Cut black olives into slices or wedges, and mozzarella into small cubes.
4. In a skillet, heat olive oil once more and fry the basil leaves for a few seconds. Remove and drain oil on absorbent paper.
5. Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C).
6. Remove dough from the refrigerator and spread it over parchment paper or a floured surface, and then cut circles with a cookie cutter. Line the mini tart pans and prick with a fork.
7. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes.
8. Upon exiting the oven, unmold the tartlets and garnish with tomatoes, a slice of olive, a cube of mozzarella and crispy basil leaves. Serve on your best serving platters!
(Photo by Loli Cat)