Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie — Here’s a meal satisfying enough for the whole family. Ground beef is simmered in braised onions and tomato sauce and covered with a creamy sweet potato mash. The result? A crowd-pleasing dinner you can feel good about serving.
Ingredients list for the sweet potato shepherd pie
Makes 6 servings:
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth (or 1 bouillon cube + water, just reduce salt when adjusting seasoning)
- 4 oz (110g) mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumb
Whole Roasted Cauliflower With Butter Sauce
1. Cook potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook for 1 minute, then add garlic and ground meat and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato flesh and bay leaf and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, add chopped parsley and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
4. In the meantime, drain the potatoes and mash them with a fork until smooth. Stir in mascarpone and 1 or 2 ladles of the cooking juice from the beef. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and butter a 9-x13-inch baking dish and set aside. Meanwhile, cook beef for a few minutes more over medium-high heat to reduce water if necessary.
6. Remove the bay leaf and evenly spread the beef mixture into the baking dish. Spoon the sweet potato mixture on top and smooth with a spatula. Top with breadcrumbs and a few dollops of salted butter.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling at the edges.
Notes: Leftover mashed potatoes can be used in place of the sweet potatoes. The mashed potatoes and the filling can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated before assembling and baking the dish.