Soup is the original comfort food, especially during the fall and winter season. After all, what could be more satisfying than a purée of roasted sweet potato and carrots topped with a crisp garnish of puff pastry and dried cranberries?
Ingredient list for the sweet potato & carrot soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb (430g) sweet potato, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 4 large carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dried cranberries and chives, for garnish
For the puff stars:
- 1 sheet puff pastry (here’s the recipe)
- Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- Coarse salt
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Rub the olive oil over the sweet potato, carrot, and apple to coat them. Spread in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes. When it’s cool enough to handle, discard the peels off the sweet potato pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallot until soft, 5 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables, apple, and broth. When the liquid boils, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the carrot is soft, 20 minutes.
3. Puree the soup in a blender or with a hand blender. Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Ladle into 4 deep soup bowls or mugs, garnish with dried cranberries, chives and puff pastry stars.
The puff pastry stars:
1. Punch out the puff pastry with a cookie cutter to make cute little stars.
2. Brush with mustard and top with another star. Brush with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with salt.
3. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paperand bake in you oven at 360°F (180°C) until puffed.