Here’s a little gem for lovers of raw, grilled or smoked salmon. You should make this marinade preferably the day before because the salmon should marinate at least 12 hours. Easier than the gravlax marinade, this recipe is probably best when smoked or grilled, but it is also great broiled in the oven. Try it also with shrimp, pork and chicken!
Ingredients list for the marinade
- 1 3/4 lb (800g) salmon fillet,
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) of salt,
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 bunch of dill, stems removed
1. Mix all ingredients — except the salmon of course — with a blender or food processor. Don’t mix more than 2 to 3 seconds, it does not matter if it’s not super finely mixed. Spread half the mixture into a shallow dish, place the fish on top and cover with the second half of the mix. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and leave in a cool place for at least 12 hours.
2. The next day, discard any marinade and rinse fish under cold water. Dry it with paper towels and cook it whatever fashion you please.
Notes: It is delicious as an aperitif or as a starter served with a little cottage cheese with herbs. Another idea, make it a salad with ripe avocado, arugula and a good mustard vinaigrette.